Wednesday, March 25, 2015

wyoming | 1992 vs. 2014

WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Wyoming has a special place in my heart. I first visited in the summer of 1992. I was thirteen, had just finished seventh grade, and was at the height of my awkward years. Airfare prices had plummeted that year and my usually thrifty parents decided we should use the opportunity to take a vacation. It was the first and last time I would fly on an airplane with my parents. It was the first and last vacation my family took to a place other than the Jersey shore. A couple years after the big trip out west, my parents would divorce, and all the traveling I've done since then has been solo, or with friends, or with Larry.

When my parents suggested that our big family vacation of '92 should be to Wyoming, I rolled my eyes in disgust. I wanted to go to the Grand Canyon. Wyoming only had like two people in the entire state, I argued. To a thirteen year old this sounded lame and boring. Besides, hadn't the whole state burned up a few years before in the Yellowstone forest fires of 1988?

But we went to Wyoming, and sure enough it was awesome. Yes, my parents were right. Mom, Dad, my brother Stephen, and I spent a week and a half admiring the Tetons, staying at a dude ranch, sightseeing in Jackson Hole, and exploring Yellowstone National Park. It was my first time away from the East Coast and it blew my mind. The experience stuck with me for life. Looking back, it probably started my love affair with the National Parks.

This past July, Larry had another business trip to Wyoming, and this time I finally got to tag along and return to the place that had made such an impression on me 22 years before. Once again it was the trip of a lifetime. After Larry's meetings were over, we had a long weekend together to hike, bike, and raft in the Tetons, drive through Yellowstone, and eat our way through the restaurants in Jackson Hole. Wyoming is just as amazing in 2014 as it was in 1992, and the Teton Range still takes my breath away. I have lots of photos from our trip to share in the coming weeks, but first I thought it would be fun to compare some photos from my trip in 1992 to photos from our trip in 2014...
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
In 1992, tight-rolled jeans were cool and Hypercolor shirts were all the rage. Awkward middle-school Rachel thought these trends looked wicked cool with matching colored socks. (Just give up on ever having a boyfriend now, teenage Rachel! Though if it's any consolation, your future husband was a college boy who had just turned 21 in the summer of '92. Wait ten years and you'll meet him! Also, when you get home from this trip, you will get a puppy, which is better than a boyfriend anyway.) Anyway, this combination of me being thirteen plus the fashion nightmare of the early 90s sets the stage for some primo awkward family photos:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Spoiler alert: I'm still awkward. IN FACT, I PRETTY MUCH LOOK THE SAME. (Insert bleeding eyes emoji. #nevergrowup) The only thing I have going for me now is that Hypercolor went bankrupt. But anyway, let's compare - 1992 vs. 2014:

Rafting the Snake River, now with fatter head:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Geothermal runoff in Yellowstone:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
I think 35 year old me needs some pink shorts:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Bison, you haven't changed a bit!:
Wyoming then & now | 1992 and 2014
Rockin' the shades with my brother (top) and husband (bottom):
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Global warming is real, people:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
At the Jackson Hole elk antler arches. Way to rock the teal and purple, Steve! Fanny pack optional:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Grand Prismatic Spring:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Interesting to note the regrowth from the 1988 forest fires:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
In front of the Tetons:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
View from the raft. I swear those two trees on the ridge in the upper left look the exact same:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Clearly the purple socks would've gone better with the 2014 outfit:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Excelsior Geyser Crater:
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Both experiences were amazing and I can't wait to write more about what we did on our 2014 trip.
I only wish Larry and I had the chance to ride the alpine slide while outfitted in BUM Equipment and pegged jeans like my bro and I did back in '92...
WY then & now | 1992 and 2014
Red socks go with red shirt, duh.

And if I can find a dot matrix printer and some PrintShop clip art, maybe I can make a sweet album for our 2014 trip like I did in 1992:
WY album 1992
On second thought, maybe I'll just blog about it instead...

4 comments:

Jonathan Hopwood said...

I'm all for blog posts with old family photos. I love this!!!

Karen Travels said...

Wyoming blew me away too (in 2002) except I was on the other side of the state. I think because the Bighorns were my first experience with BIG mountains. It was June. The hills were flower covered for miles. I saw a moose. The air was crisp after driving across the hot plains. I think I need to visit Wyoming!!

Anonymous said...

I could not love this post more! The photos from then and now are amaze-balls. And definitely get some pink shorts - chic again.

Unknown said...

Yay! You're back!

Love these photos. Your family vacation looks awesome, pink shorts and all!

Every single year our family of 5 would cram into a compact car and drive to Michigan or Indiana to see my relatives. I think *one* year we deviated and actually drove to Toronto for the day. I think those trips definitely shaped my love of road trips, but I would have killed for a family vacation like this as a kid!