Saturday, December 29, 2012

battle of the alma maters

pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
Don't worry, I'm not going to blog about sports. I have zero interest in watching football or discussing football. However, when I learned that my alma mater (Syracuse University) and Larry's alma matter (West Virginia University) were facing off in the Pinstripe Bowl, I thought party time! Because while I may not give two shits about football (Correction: I don't even give one shit about football), I do love hanging out with friends, drinking beer, cooking up a big pot of chili to share, and making team-themed treats:
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
The morning of the big game, it was snowing here in Virginia! I took that as a good sign for Syracuse:
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
The pups insisted in dressing up in pinstripes to support their favorite teams. As I explained to my friends, Gravy was rooting for Syracuse because he's orange and Banjo was rooting for WVU because...he's a redneck? Or perhaps hillbilly would be a more accurate term? Just kidding, WVU fans! I don't think you're hillbillies. Although your mascot does wear a coonskin cap. (Whereas Syracuse's mascot is a perfectly respectable oversized piece of fruit...)

Our friends arrived. Larry and I are lucky that we both have college roommates who live in the area. Unfortunately, none of our classmates could come to our party, so they shall be referred to as ninny poo-poo heads from now on. Anyway, our other friends arrived. We stuffed our faces with guacamole. We ate chili. We drank beer. We did not watch the game. That was just background noise.
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
Unfortunately, I had to feed my homemade Otto the Orange and Flying WV cookies to a bunch of UVA and VT alums...
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
Three things: 1. No, no, I did not stay up until 2 am the night before decorating these cookies. (I totally did.)
                      2. Cookie decorating skillz run in my family...
                      3. Notice my sneaky SU-themed centerpiece: bowl of citrus!

Ok, we so we did watch the last five minutes of the game. My view was partially obstructed by dog butt:
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
pinstripe bowl 2012 | su vs. wvu
Go Orange!

4 comments:

Mike D. / Coffee in Bed said...

I don't really care about football either, but GO EERS! Sorry Rachel, I'm from there, so it's like religion in my home state.

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Mike - I understand and you're right, it IS like a religion in WV! Didn't realize you were from there!

Jennifer said...

Yay SU! :)We need to get you back up here for homecoming or reunion or something, so we can meet in person!

Pups look great, as usual....

Jen :)

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Jen - I agree! And I need to give Larry a tour of campus (and the pups, too - just as soon as one of them stops barfing in the car during road trips)!