Thursday, December 22, 2011

handmade holiday | felt fish ornaments

merry fishmas!
This year, I participated in two ornament swaps: The Freshly Blended Ornament Swap and The Very Berry Handmade Ornament Swap.

I needed to make 11 ornaments for the swaps - they needed to be unique, and pretty, and also simple enough to make multiples. I came up with these felt fish. While they were fairly simple, anything that involves hand sewing is time consuming for me. A good project to work on in front of the TV!
merry fishmas!
But they were totally worth it. I was a little sad to give them all away, because I just love the idea of a tree full of fish! But I also love the thought that these guys arrived in mailboxes all over the world...
merry fishmas!
(And I did make a few extras for our own tree!)

Materials | felt, sequins, embroidery thread, glue, hemp twine (for hanging cord)
Equipment | needle, paper fish template, scissors
Tips | You need three pieces of felt for each fish - a front, a back, and the middle piece which includes the fins.
Glue the twine to either side of the middle piece of felt to create a hanging cord.
While the glue dries, sew sequin eyes to the front and back pieces of felt.
Assemble the felt sandwich and use a running stitch to hand sew the three pieces of felt together.
Embroider the zigzag pattern.
merry fishmas!
Merry Fishmas!

2 comments:

Jane @ The Borrowed Abode said...

This is awesome, especially b/c someone with no sewing machine can still sew this!

Angie said...

Adorable! I love your fish ornaments, colourful and sweet. Hand sewing takes time, but it makes them all the more special.
What a neat idea, an ornament trade, I've never heard of that before.