Tuesday, October 25, 2011

leaf pee(p)ing

shenandoah
On Thursday, we played hooky from work and took the dogs out to Shenandoah National Park for a hike and to check out the fall foliage. Leaf peeping, if you will...or leaf peeing if you're Gravy and Banjo.

Unfortunately, both dogs were being jerks and the weather changed once we got up the mountain, so it wasn't the best conditions for photography. We were on a completely deserted backcountry trail and it got super windy. The sounds coming out of the forest were straight from LOST and I half expected the Smoke Monster to get us. It was freaky.

Still, no complaints about a day off from work with my boys and some beautiful fall scenery:
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah
shenandoah

6 comments:

Sarah Rosemary said...

Wow, what beautiful pictures! And what a nice park - Dan and I will have to take Kate and Belle. I think they would love it.

tessica said...

So beautiful! Have you ever tried geo-caching? It is my favorite thing to do on hikes! Besides leaf peeping like you!

Sarah said...

So beautiful, Rachel! I love your idea of playing hooky. Fall is my favorite time of year, and photos like this are exactly why.

Karin said...

Smoke monster...haha, that would freak me out a bit. (sidenote: the sound of the smoke monster reminded me of riding the Grizzly at Kings Dominion, the cranking sound of the old chains as you are being pulled up the first hill!) You got some beautiful shots there! The only thing I like about fall is the foliage...oh, and good fall beer too! :)

Karen Travels said...

I love the fall, and I miss hiking soooo much! Just getting my 30 week preggo body to my classroom across the courtyard is a hike for me (luckily, it is a very pretty courtyard). LOVE these pictures, and love a good playing hooky day!!

Anonymous said...

OK you have succeeded in making me miss VA for about 10 minutes.

Ontario has the leaves and the colo(u)rs as well but nothing like that.