Monday, July 18, 2011

life list #216: visit foamhenge

foamhenge
On Monday, after a breakfast of fresh-picked wineberries, we had to pack up and leave Luminhaus.
breakfast
luminhaus
It was such an amazing and relaxing trip, that we both felt pretty sad to leave.

Goodbye Luminhaus (we'll be back!), Goodbye Mothra, Goodbye amazing view of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Goodbye Beer-Drinking Gnome, Goodbye Wineberries, Goodbye Amazing Art.
Goodbye Waterfall, Goodbye Fishies, Goodbye Trees covered with Kudzu:
kudzu along the road

On the way out we drove through the town of Buena Vista:
buena vista
And then we had one more stop on the agenda: FOAMHENGE. No vacation is complete without at least one stop at a kitschy roadside attraction...

Foamhenge is a full-scale replica of England's Stonehenge, built entirely out of Styrofoam. Only in America!
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
foamhenge
We made it home just in time to celebrate the 4th in our own backyard.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I lived in the Charlottesvile are for 5 years and just returned to NVA last October. I have to say I love seeing your posts about your trips to CVA; everytime you post a new trip I think, yeah I've been there and I lved it too! Love your Foamhenge pictures! There are so many great things to see and do in CVA!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Thanks, Trish! I've been a Virginian my whole life, but I love that there are so many beautiful areas in this state to explore - and vacation-worthy trips that are within driving distance. We loved Amherst/Nelson counties so much that Larry started looking at real estate down there as soon as we got home!

Karen Travels said...

Why have I never heard of this place?!

Funnelcloud Rachel said...

Karen - I thought the same thing! We actually learned about Foamhenge while watching an episode of "Ace of Cakes"! My immediate reaction was "I must go there!" and luckily it turned out to be in Virginia!