Tuesday, October 5, 2010

simple september!

simple september!
So in September we ate a lot of easy comfort food...and evidently a lot of beige. Seriously, did we eat any vegetables because the only green I'm seeing is perhaps a speck of chive in the egg salad! It is interesting to see how the colors of the foods we eat change throughout the year - there is definitely evidence of garden and farmers market produce in the August collage...but September was all about quick and easy meals - we were busy and seemed to survive on a lot of peanut butter sandwiches, cold cereal, pizza delivery and even some fast food (Chick-Fil-A during a road trip!).

There were some highlights though - we took our annual trip to the beach and everyone took turns making dinners - which was delicious - lots of fresh fish and cooking over open flame - unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the food while we were on vacation. We also discovered an amazing donut shop - Duck Donuts - while not so healthy, it was a delicious breakfast treat (and I confess, donuts are one of my guilty pleasures).

What we were eating and cooking this month: comfort foods - pizza, hot dogs, egg salad, chicken and dumplings, even mac & cheese from a box; Chick-Fil-A; fresh fish, including several iterations of fish tacos, pickled onions (for the fish tacos - surprisingly delicious, and this is coming from someone who hated onions for the first 25 years of my life!), beer & cocktails, and lots of pie. This Peanut Butter Banana Cream Pie is the most addictive and evil thing I have tasted lately - and I don't even like bananas. I hope to post the recipe on Vicious Dishes at some point, but I made the crust out of Nutter Butters instead of vanilla wafers - and it was completely delicious, but I need to make it again to get the consistency just right.

No comments: