Tuesday, July 6, 2010

butterflies for anna & jane

2010_06_27
2010 has really been the year of the baby - all my friends are expecting this year, and when I say all, I mean childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, work friends - pretty much everyone I know is having a baby!

Two of these friends had babies just a few weeks apart this spring. Neither one knew the gender of the baby beforehand, and when both ended up having girls, I knew exactly what I had to make!
butterfly punch art
This butterfly punch art was inspired by a project I saw by Ali Edwards a few months ago. Since the gender of these babies was a surprise, my friends had gender-neutral nurseries, and I wanted to make something that would add some girly-accents to their spaces. I also wanted to make something that would look sweet in a baby girl's room, but wouldn't be too babyish for an older girl, either.
butterfly punch art
The butterflies were punched from patterned paper with a butterfly punch and adhered using adhesive foam squares. This gave the butterflies a three-dimensional effect like a real collection of butterflies (without being as creepy as a frame full of dead insects!).
butterfly punch art
butterfly punch art
I framed these myself using simple white frames and custom-cut double mats from American Frame.
butterfly punch art
butterfly punch art
Congratulations to Sarah and Abby on the birth of their beautiful daughters Anna and Jane! I can't wait to meet them!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Rachel, these are so gorgeous that I don't even know what else to say about them. Amazing!